Installing new switch

VTP, Portfast, Spanning Tree and all the other switch related stuff.
jackpod
Cisco FastHub400

Installing new switch

Post by jackpod » Mon May 30, 2011 7:15 am

Good Morning,

I've been beating my head against the wall over something that is probably quite stupid and simple but I just can't seem to figure it out. I am trying to setup a newly acquired Cisco 4006 in an existing development network. I have vlans setup and can ping the vlans and devices in the vlans but I can't get the vlans to talk to the router.

Here is the existing environment
Cisco 2651 with adsl wic. All pppoe authentication is handled by the router along with static nats for incoming ports. The inside ethernet interface is 172.16.26.1. The network is comprised of a windows domain and all default gateways are pointing to the router inside interface. All the devices are currently on the 172.16.26.x network.

What I was hoping to do is segment this network (44 devices, servers and endpoints) into several vlans. I have tried adding an ip of 172.16.26.2 to the vlan 1 int with DGW of 172.16.26.2 and an ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.26.1. From the switch console I can ping any of the vlan subnets plus anything on the internet side of the router. From any of the vlans I can ping any other vlan device plus 172.16.26.2 but I can not ping the router interface or anything beyond.

Any help greatly appreciated

jackpod
Cisco FastHub400

Re: Installing new switch

Post by jackpod » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Problem Found, Issue resolved

So the problem wasn't in the switch config, but in the router config. Since before I added the 4006 and everything was on a single broadcast domain, all the systems were pointing to the router inside interface for the default gateway. What I ended up doing was changing the IP of the inside router interface to a different subnet /30 and creating a default route directing all traffic to the switch interface using a mask that encompassed the enire range of all the subnets in use. I then created a layer 3 port on the switch and everything works as it should. Surprisingly changing the ip of the interface on the router did not break the ADSL wic configuration. I had to adjust the ip of the access-list. Everything works and I am happily vlan'g

m_1607
Hello I'm new here

Re: Installing new switch

Post by m_1607 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:47 am

can you please show network diagram