Clients on Guest WLAN Losing Layer 3 Connectivity

Configuring Wireless Cisco Networks and Wireless Controllers.

Re:Clients on Guest WLAN Losing Layer 3 Connectivity

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:56 pm

I've never tested long enough with the controller as the server to see this problem.I have tried it before and it works as the DHCP server, but I've never tried staying connected the 15 or 20 min it would take to get dropped..A few people at Cisco Networkers this year that spoke on Wireless said not to use the WLC as a DHCP server because it is not an enterprise type DHCP server.. so I've been afraid to use the WLC as the DHCP server.How big is your clients guest user base with the WLC as the DHCP server ?

Alt+MAlt+N

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Guest is the only time I would use the WLC as a DHCP server.  We have implemented this in various environments, but the biggest is probably in hospitals.  Some we have ran /24 to /23.  Internal wireless has always been done on an enterprise DHCP server.  I have also implemented this in a retail mall area that has public wifi on 8 floors.  No issue with the WLC being a DHCP server.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Ok I was using a /23 for now - which should cover my guest needs.I'll give that a shot and see if that's where the problem lies.